While not the majority, there are people who struggle to get enough energy and nutrients in their diet. Athletes involved in very heavy training loads, those recovering from illness and medical conditions, and the elderly come to mind.
If you’re someone who is looking for healthy ways of boosting your calorie intake, I recommend energy-dense foods. These foods contain an abundance of calories and nutrients in a relatively small volume of food.
Here are some suggestions:
- Toasted cheese sandwich
- Peanut butter & honey/jam/banana sandwich
- Granola with milk or over yogurt
- Nut, seed & dried fruit trail mix
- Nut butters
- Whole milk
- Dark chocolate
- Mackerel, salmon, herring
You can also increase the energy content of some lower calorie foods by adding condiments.
- Add butter or oil to rice and cooked vegetables
- Add a couple slices of cheese to your sandwich
- Mash up an avocado and add to your sandwich
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on your salad
- Add dried fruit to your breakfast cereal
- Use cream and sugar in your coffee